07 April 2017

Block 5/25 My Queen Size Quilt

This block is kinda different to the rest because there is no contrast between the thread and the fabric.  It has this amazing softness to it when I run my hand across it.

How I did it: I chalked in some horizontal and vertical lines so there were 9 boxes.  They looked big so I drew in diagonal lines as well.  Then, slowly, I wiggled my way back and forth with free hand machine quilting.



If you look you can see the triangle and square/diamond shapes.  I think this design would be a great one to start with if you're new to free hand machine quilting.  Go slowly, make the squares or triangles no larger than about 4 or 5 inches, and see how it turns out.  Improvisation is key.

There are no rules other than trying to keep the lines an equal (ish) distance apart.  Looking even closer, my lines aren't really that even anyway.  Uneven-ness is perfect.  Also, this didn't take very long to quilt, so it's ideal if you have a large project and you don't want to spend forever on the quilting.

20 blocks to go, I can't wait to show you the next one.

Click here for



Thanks for visiting!  Extra pics added below for pinning.

Holly
xx













2 comments:

  1. Like this one too it's a combination of the colour and the texture created

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nin! Same, here. It's easy on the eye, relatively easy to sew, and makes the quilt feel and move nicely. Xx

      Delete

I love comments :)

UA-40155566-1